Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Salaam Bombay! (1988)



Director: Mira Nair
Rating: 5 out of 5

A perfect movie, movie of satisfaction : When I start watch "Salaam Bombay" about 2 hours ago in my school library, I am very excited. Usually I watched such arty film in my own room with peace and usually in cinema halls. But this film draw me into its deepest scene of Mira's directional talent.
I just cannot catch up how she control the whole sets with these street-children. The most realistic movie that makes me thinking whether I am watching reality show or a man made movie.




The performers are really amazing and so sure that most of the cast were never faced the camera. Even in such condition the most cast give the outstanding , fabulous and memorable acting. Mira's debut film make me feel the perfect satisfaction , sorrow and some scenes were even kept in my memory for long.I just want to share the some memorable scene for me.

"Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu" song scene dancing prostitute, her daughter and Chaipau . The scene make you warmly feel the beautiful , kind mind of a prostitute and very sweet relationships of mother-daughter. "Hansa Vithal" may be she is 10+ years old but her performance is really amazing for me in the whole movie.
Next is the scene where Chaipau steal a little chicken and give to "Sweet Sixteen". Really cute scene of a boy's pure love to his unknown older girl. And Manju jealous on "Sweet Sixteen" is another outstanding scene in movie that show the human mind.
Chillum and Chaipau is another good plot of the movie and the friendship spirit keep me cry at funeral scene.Chillum character is another prominent character in the movie : a destroyed man by the drug and trading of drug.


The most stunning female character is Rekha played by Aneeta Kanwar : a prostitute , neglected wife and mother.
Anyway "Salaam Bombay!" is a must-watch film before you die and this movie give the lowest lives in Bombay and can regarded as the most realistic movie from India Film Industry.

2 comments:

test said...

i recommend pixote for u.. a similar story f street childrn in sao paulo.. i tried for salaam bombay! in ma ny places.. i think m not dat lucky to die after watchin salaam bombay!

Unknown said...

Well, I recommend Dharavi for you. It is also a similar story of poor people in Bombay. I felt Salaam Bombay was a strictly okay movie, nothing so great to rave about. I have never encouraged people who make money out of glorifying poverty and showing India as a third-rate country. The main kid in Salaam Bombay is now an auto-driver in Bangalore. Yes, I don't think I am not that lucky to die after watching Salaam Bombay.